Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Hobbit Dvd Day

So, today THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED PARTY is released on dvd.

I got mine, once I figured out which of the four variant packagings was likeliest to be the one I wanted (the 3d version was, in the words of Monty Python, right out).* The one I got has both dvd and blue ray dvd, as well as "ultra" (access to an online version, it wd seen, and not, like ADandD's ultra vision, the ability to see in the dark like Gollum). Apparently that means I've passed on a thirty-minute documentary "only at Best Buy" on the "special edition" (wh. the Best Buy staff suggested must just be the standard version?), but so it goes.

Meanwhile, online access woes continue. So far we've got a new modem (my first of three errands today), but the airport still isn't working and said modem only seems to work with Janice's laptop, not mine. I've made an appointment with the Geniuses tomorrow to see what might be ailing my laptop. So if you're trying to get ahold of me between my visits to Starbucks, please be patient.

On the plus side, I did get a fine petting session today with Puck, Tesla, and Mr. Crowley, three Cats of Tindalos I only see once in a while. And I was surprised to find a pair of ducks coming up to the spot below the bird feeder: apparently they've either been availing themselves of the gleanings that fall below or helping themselves to the ground birds' seed.

--John R.

current reading: AN EXPERIMENT IN CRITICISM (but not for much longer . . . )


*and yes, I am able to identify all those dwarves who appear on its cover

No comments: